HISTORY OF MEHER FREE DISPENSARY
The Meher Free Dispensary was founded by Dr. Goher Irani, who served for many years as personal physician to her spiritual master Avatar Meher Baba (1894-1969). The dispensary was begun in 1970 in a single room in response to the health needs of local villagers and farmers. After 8 years, a separate Clinic building was built. Later, in 2006, the present 7,350 square foot facility opened to accommodate the increasing number of patients. One of Dr. Goher’s last acts was to attend the ground-breaking for this building in 2004, a few months before she died.
The Meher Free Dispensary is located near Ahmednagar, in rural western India, and serves about 24,000 separate patient visits each year. It employs 4 full-time and 3 part-time physicians. The physicians and staff continue to work under the guiding principle of compassionate care for all who seek help at its doors.